Information for Parents

Information for Parents

Child Care Benefit

Child Care Benefit is a means-tested payment which reduces the cost of your total child care fees. It is available to you if you are a parent, foster parent or grandparent with a child in your care who is attending child care approved for the purposes of Child Care Benefit by, or registered with, the Government. There are certain eligibility requirements you must meet to get Child Care Benefit.

You can receive Child Care Benefit if:

  • you have a child in your care who meets the immunisation requirements
  • you or your partner (if you have one) meet residency requirements (or have an exemption)
  • your child attends approved or registered care and you have the liability to pay for the cost of your child care
  • you meet the income test
Child Care Rebate

The Child Care Rebate is additional assistance if you use Child Care Benefit approved child care, and you are working, studying or training at some time during the week or have an exemption. The Child Care Rebate covers 50 per cent of your out-of-pocket costs up to the annual limit, regardless of your income. Currently the Child Care Rebate annual limit is $7,500 per child per year.

You can get Child Care Rebate if:

  • you have used approved child care during the year
  • you have been eligible for Child Care Benefit (entitled at a rate of zero percent or more)
  • you have passed the Child Care Benefit work, training, study test (for the purposes of the rebate).
Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance (JET)

JET provides extra help if you are a parent on an income support payment and looking for work, studying or starting a job. Access to JET is time-limited depending on the study, training or employment activity that an eligible parent undertakes.

You can find more information about any of these benefits by calling 136 150 or clicking on the link below

Human Services Childcare Website

How to Enrol

To secure the enrolment of your child you will need to do the following:

  • Complete Billy Kids Enquiry Form online.
  • We will contact you to discuss your needs and schedule a tour of our beautiful facilities.
  • If a position is available for the days you have requested, you will be offered a position at Billy Kids and given an enrolment pack to take away and complete.
  • If there is no position currently available on the days requested, we will offer you any other days available before placing you on our waitlist. There is no fee to join our waitlist.
  • On the return of your enrolment pack and payment of the bond, a start date will be confirmed and you will be invited to return to Billy Kids with your child for an orientation.

Facts about Immunisation
What forms are required to be provided at enrolment?

Parents must provide a copy of one or more of the following documents to enrol at Billy Kids:

  • an AIR Immunisation History Statement which shows that the child is up to date with their scheduled vaccinations; or
  • an AIR Immunisation History Form on which the immunisation provider has certified that the child is on a recognised catch-up schedule; or
  • an AIR Immunisation Medical Exemption Form which has been certified by a GP, or;
Which vaccines does my child need to be fully vaccinated?

The NSW Immunisation Schedule sets out the age-appropriate vaccines for children and the ACIR Immunisation History Statement will indicate if the child is up to date with their vaccinations.

Do parents still have a choice to vaccinate their children?

Unless the child is on a recognised catch up schedule; is up to date on immunisation or has a medical exemption, they are not able to enrol.

Are unimmunised children able to enrol at Billy Kids?

Yes. Children who are unimmunised due to medical reasons are able to attend child care provided that the appropriate documentation has been provided.

Children who are behind with their immunisation schedule are able to access child care once the appropriate documentation has been provided that shows they have either caught up or are on a recognised catch-up schedule.

Unimmunised children may be asked to stay at home if there is an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease at Billy Kids.

What if my child was vaccinated overseas?

Unfortunately we are not able to accept records from overseas. Children who were vaccinated overseas need to have their immunisation records assessed by an immunisation provider who will transfer the information to the ACIR. An ACIR Immunisation History Statement will subsequently be issued to parents/guardians upon request. Child Care Subsidy is a means-tested payment which reduces the cost of your total child care fees. It is available to you if you are a parent, foster parent or grandparent with a child in your care who is attending child care approved for the purposes of Child Care Subsidy by, or registered with, the Government. There are certain eligibility requirements you must meet to get Child Care Subsidy.

Orientation (Bilgola)

Before your child starts at Billy Kids, we invite you and your child to come and spend some time with us.

Please phone us in advance to arrange a mutually convenient time, mornings or afternoons are usually the best.

This can help to make your child’s first day less daunting, particularly if they are new to formalised childcare.

In our experience, it is best to not place too much emphasis on starting at Billy Kids as this could make your child anxious. Perhaps routinely mention it to your child and perhaps read some stories to them about starting preschool. Here are some good examples:

During your child’s first days it is perfectly understandable for you to be interested to know how they have settled in, and so we invite you to phone the centre at any time to check in on their progress.

Our Educators will do their very best to settle your child in as quickly as possible and you can rest assured that they are well trained in helping new children adapt to Billy Kids. If, however, we feel that your child is too upset to stay all day, we will call you suggesting that you come in to collect your child early.

Meet with your Educators

An important part of orientation is a meeting between parents and the Educators/Carers from your child’s assigned Room. It is a good way for us to get to know your child better and ensure a smooth transition from home to Billy Kids. Our goal is for every child to settle into Billy Kids quickly and happily.

Topics covered in the meeting will be specific to your child, and may include: family members, cultural identity, nationality, religious beliefs, routines and practices followed at home. Information such as any fears held by your child, your living arrangements (e.g. do they have a backyard) or their favourite pastimes may also be requested, as well as what objectives you have for your child’s care, education and development while they are at Billy Kids.

Valuable Parent Resources
Starting Blocks (Family Friendly Resource about Early Childhood Education and Care)

Starting Blocks provides parents with information about early childhood education and care to help them make the best choice for their child and family.

Starting Blocks is a starting point to: 

  • learn about children's developmental milestones
  • understand what to expect from an early childhood education and care service
  • find services and learn about their quality ratings
  • get tips on starting child care or preschool, and what can be done at home to encourage your child’s learning and development.

Transition to School Resource

A resource for families of children with developmental delay or disability. Transition to school is designed to support families to make the process as smooth and positive as possible.

Karitane (Parent Support)

Karitane support new parents around sleep and settling, establishing routines, feeding and nutrition, toddler behaviour and pre and post natal anxiety and depression. They are a registered charity, supported by the NSW Ministry of Health and the Department of Family & Community Services

Triple P Parenting Program

Triple P helps make raising children and teenagers easier and more enjoyable for both parents and the kids. It’s about building relationships, communicating well and encouraging the kind of behaviour parents want to see. It helps parents manage their child’s behaviour, emotions and development in a way that isn’t hurtful.

Tressilian Parent Help Line

Tresillian is an early parenting service offering families guidance in the early years of their child's life. We support new parents around breastfeeding and settling baby, as well as dealing with post-natal depression and nutrition.

Phone: 9797 0855

Billy Kids Early Learning provides
quality education and care for babies - six year olds
Quick Links